Beach to Bay with the Boys

This past weekend was amazing, start to finish. My roommate and I took Friday off and flew together from SD to San Antonio, Texas. We were picked up by his parents and brother, and headed south to Corpus Christi. Like most trips of mine, I found myself in the middle seat of a car, with no set plans, and more guys than girls. Love it! Why were we making this trek, you might be asking? To run in the 38th annual Beach to Bay Relay Marathon. It is the oldest and largest marathon relay in the country and it was awesome. My roommate grew up in Corpus and his mom’s entire extended family still lives in town. On top of that, one of my good friends from high school lives in Corpus as well and owns a bar/restaurant there that I’ve been wanting to check out. So plans were made and away we went!


Friday night we hit the race expo, checked out all the vendors, and got our race information. My roommate’s father was the race director back in the day so we ran into several family friends. Then we headed over to The Sparrow’s Landing for dinner. This is the place my friend Josiah opened earlier this year. He’s worked really hard and the place looks AMAZING! We pulled up a huge table to hold our group and started ordering. I got the grilled cheese, with four types of cheese, and a side of sweet potato waffle fries. Most people got wings, pasta, burgers, or fried pickles. I didn’t hear a single complaint about the food and I loved my dish! The fries had a honey glaze on them. Omg. Heaven.


The family all left to crash and I hung out with Josiah and his friends for a while longer. A band rolled in and karaoke started, then I accepted a corn hole challenge… And crushed them 😉 it was just a chill night at a great new spot in Corpus. If y’all have the chance to get down there, check it out for sure! Josiah and I made it back to his place afternoon midnight and crashed hard. We were the early legs of the race on Saturday and had to get up at 4:45am to get to our spots. The rest of our team was being dropped off by various other family members/support staff.


Our six-person team consisted, in order, of Josiah (bar-owner), Jamie (Josiah’s friend), myself, Steve (roomie’s dad), Nick (roomie’s brother), and Brian (roomie). Josiah started at 7am running along the beach, like through sand, and ran about 3.5 miles. The rest of us ran between 4.3 and 4.9 miles to total 26.2 miles for the whole race. I was leg three and responsible for getting us off Padre Island and over the causeway. Because I do hills at home, I was nominated for this leg and it wasn’t too bad! The biggest issue for me was that it had climbed to over 80 degrees by my start time and there wasn’t water until just before the end of my leg because they can’t set up aid stations on the causeway.


I ran my 4.67 miles in 36:54, which was right at 8 minute mile pace. I was really pleased with that and not too tired at the end. My legs aren’t designed to move that fast, but I powered through. The rest of my teammates did awesome and we finished in about 4 hours and 20 minutes. We were pleased with that, especially since there was a lack of training on everyone’s part. There has already been talk of at least one team running again next year! After the race there was a huge festival in the park with free beer and pizza, as well as other vendors.


We all parted ways to shower and rest, but then met up at Brian’s aunt’s house for a full day (and night) of hanging out and enjoying each other’s company. I met all four of his mom’s siblings and various parts of their families. There are a lot of boys in that clan, so naturally video games, basketball, and friendly competitions took place throughout the afternoon. They were even gracious enough to let me join in when I wasn’t helping out the sisters in the kitchen. For dinner we had: potato salad, mac ‘n cheese, tortillas, beans, guacamole, short ribs, grilled chicken, sausage, strawberry-lemonade angel food cake. Oh my goodness, it was all so delicious I can’t even single out a favorite.


By the end of the night, I was completely exhausted and had no problem falling asleep. Sunday we met up with the family for breakfast and then said our good-byes and headed north back to San Antonio. Brian and I had some time to kill before our flight so we walked around the river walk downtown before heading to the airport. We caught part of the Spurs basketball game while having dinner in an airport bar. Then we flew through Phoenix to San Diego, landing a little after 10pm. We managed to get home safely before passing out and I’m still feeling the tiredness today, but it was worth it. I am so thankful to have such wonderful friends who open their homes, jobs, and family to me. And it was really relaxing to just get to know new people and spend the weekend hanging out. I hope all of you enjoyed the weekend as well… Happy Monday!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: